Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:04:26 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Netcape Browser [RANT]

	Funny... it works fine on my FreeBSD systems.

> There
> are people with their stupid fixes like
> "disable java and javascript," but you
> might as well go all the way and disable
> images or just rm the damn thing.

	Some of us go ahead and disable Java and Javascript because it could pose a
security problem.  If you have questions in that regard, I'd advise you to
take it up with www.cert.org unless, of course, you've come up with a fix
for those problems which I think a lot of us would be more than happy if you
would share said fixes.

> Netscape gets worse with each generation:
> more memory scrooging and the freezes
> occur more frequently. Despite the
> apparent absurdity of the idea,
> *something* gives Netscape the power to
> lock up window managers, crash X, and
> even reboot the entire system on
> occasion. There's stability for you.

	If it doesn't work on your system, maybe you should examine what you are
running it on, both hardware and software wise.  No piece of software is
perfect.  However, if you know of something that refutes that claim, I would
be more than happy to take a look at it, cause it would win me roughly $1000
from a former professor of mine.

> >All I can seem to find is
> >Netscape v7.5 for FreeBSD v2.2. Or, does IE have a version >that runs on
> >FBSD?
>
> Microsoft have only ported IE to HPUX and Solaris,
> last time I checked.

	I'd love to find a Solaris admin with the cajones to run IE on his system.
I find that whole idea extremely comical.

> Most *nix purists are quick to jump down Microsoft's
> throat, but AT LEAST THEIR BROWSER WORKS (and
> the security holes of Windows acclaim shouldn't
> really be much of a problem on their port).

	Well, my friend (and I use the term loosely), this is the Unix world.  You
know how things have always been done over here?  It's like this... if you
don't like the software that's out there and/or you can't find the right
application to fit your needs, you write it yourself, or find someone
willing to write it for you.

> >If all else fails, can someone point me in the direction of >a
> really good
> >browser that will run on FBSD v4.3?
>
> Unfortunately, there are no good browsers that
> will run under FreeBSD.

	Netscape works fine for me on my systems... as does Lynx.  Both are widely
known and widely used browsers.  Maybe there isn't a browser that fits your
definition of good, but then again, I'm not sure that there ever will be.

> The advice given to me
> in my thread "Web Browsers (is there hope?)" was
> to use Windows to surf the Net.

	If you like IE that well, why not use Windows?  Even better, why not
download Solaris 8 from Sun and run IE on it?  It seems to be your browser
of choice, and no one is stopping you from doing either of the above.

> Some idiot,
> completely missing the point, suggested to
> use an IRC client instead of a browser (go
> figure).

	That's because the original post from the original author mentioned how he
was having problems with Yahoo! Chat locking up on him.  For the uninitiated
(which you seem to be one of, my friend, again used loosely), it is a Java
based multi-user chat program.  And I agree with the person that said that
if you want to chat to use IRC.  Why?  How many RFCs are involved in the
design/use of IRC?  Compared to how many involved with the use/design of a
Java based chatting solution?

> Netscape blows.

	Again, it works properly for me on my systems.

> Opera runs longer but still
> crashes on the average of 15-20 minutes
> for me. There are other browsers that are
> too closely tied to a particular window
> manager or environment. And there are the
> browsers like Mozilla that require a
> fucking arm and leg just to get a working
> browser installed and the other arm and
> leg just to get Java support in some wonky
> fashion, only to crash in a clowd of smoke
> minutes after execution.

	As I mentioned before... you don't seem to like any of the available web
client software packages out there, so why not write your own?  If you're
that bound and determined to raise a fuss over this and not contribute
anything useful to correcting these problems, why not do it yourself?

> I'm still looking for a decent browser
> to run. http://browserwatch.internet.com/
> lists some candidates, but you'll notice
> they lack support for features which
> are mandatory in a browser these days
> (CSS, Java, etc.), they're CLI browsers,
> or they're coded in some stuffed-shirt
> tosser language like Java (SUPPORT
> Java, but don't WRITE the damn web
> browser in Java).

	Perhaps you're missing the utlilitarian use of Java.  It was originally
designed to be a more portable language, able to go from one platform to
another with a simple recompile or less in order to get it to work on the
new platform.  But, according to your stance, Java shouldn't be used in that
way, but should only be used to write little trinket apps for web usage
only.

> Inhale.

	Prozac?  Valium?

> >Ron
>
> --
> This message has been sent via an anonymous mail relay at www.no-id.com.

	Anonymous mail, eh?  That's gotta take balls...

--- Andy
"And yes, Netscape runs fine on my FreeBSD machines..."