Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:10:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Chroot or jail?

I am trying to see which method would be best for the following. I have an
ID I use to copy data from one machine to another using SSH. I created
some passwordless keys for the ID so the synchronization program, unison, could run
unatended.

As an additional precaution I wanted to isolate what the ID could see. I
was unable to understand the chroot man page and the jail page will take
me some time to read so I am going to print it and read it carefully.

Does chroot need to be run as root? If so how does one specify what user
it should be? If I get some good info on chroot I may try to improve the
man page since it is a bit short and there doesn't seem to be much on this
topic on the archives.

All I believe I wil need the ID to be able to see is the directory where
the data is, and the synchronization program which I can put on the target
directory itself.