Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:22:16 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X and non-X graphics in 4.4-STABLE: system hangs.

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:42:59PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> >     I know that there are people out there doing this on a shoestring
> > budget and all, but S3 video chipsets are, in my experience, crap.  If
> > you spend $40 US or so on even an old video board such as an ATI Rage
> > Pro, these problems will most likely vanish.
> >     You can probably get a decent video board for even less than that.
>
> It seems to be offtopic, but S3 Trio3D worked just fine with 4.3-RELEASE
> and Windows95OSR2. If it is not buggy it should work with 4.4-STABLE.

I just downloaded kernel sources of 4.3-RELEASE and used my kernel config
to build 4.3-R kernel (with some lines commented out - that does not
vaild for 4.3-RELEASE). It hangs :(

It is enough to start X, switch to console, do vidcontrol VESA_800x600,
do vidcontrol 80x25 and try to switch back to X. It is still in text mode
but frozen.

Eugene Grosbein