Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 10:15:18 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -ffast-math broken

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:03:46AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> The -ffast-math gcc option is broken on Alpha because we don't build
> or install crtfastmath.o as part of csu.  Building & installing it
> works,

I've committed this part.

> but doesn't help because it references __ieee_set_fp_control
> which doesn't exist.  This breaks (at least) the audio/mpg123 port,
> though I must admit I don't know if it ever worked.

http://www.humboldt.edu/cgi-bin/man2html?ieee
explains the ieee_set_fp_control() routine we need to supply.
Note that if you install the Compaq CCC compiler, you get the routines in
/usr/lib/compaq/cpml-5.1.0/libcpml_ev*.*

We could create the libcpml port and hack GCC to link with it when given
-ffast-math.