Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:27:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        re@feebsd.org
Subject:   alpha 5.0 BOOTMFS way too fat ..

I don't know if its the new toolchain, or if its general kernel bloat,
but a 5.0 BOOTMFS is nowhere near fitting onto a floppy:

% ls -lR /mnt/
total 1205
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel      512 Oct 25 21:37 boot/
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  1228800 Oct 25 21:37 kernel.gz

/mnt/boot:
total 198
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     640 Oct 25 21:37 device.hints
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  196128 Oct 25 21:37 loader*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     229 Oct 25 21:37 loader.rc

And the size of BOOTMFS is:

% ls -l kernel.gz
-rwxr-xr-x  1 gallatin  wheel  1396562 Oct 27 16:17 kernel.gz*

I'm going to start trying to throw things over the side to lighten the
load, but I'm a little unsure how the driver floppy works.

May I jettison all drivers which are modules?  Or do I need to keep
all possible scsi drivers required to boot the machine (in case we
booted from a SCSI CD)?  Or does a different kernel get used for CD
boots?  Or can /boot/loader make itself useful and load the drivers?

Thanks,

Drew

PS: My peeking at this in no way represents a commitment.