Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:23:43 -0800
From:      oliver <opml@terraflux.com>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AlphaServer1200 (5305), FBSD4.7 and Symbios53C875

Hi there,

I am trying to run (and install) FreeBSD 4.7/alpha on a former Digital
Server 5305 WinNT Whitebox system with two 533 processors and 512mb.

There are two SCSI controllers in the box, one embedded Symbios 53C810
(Fast SCSI-2), and a PCI Symbios 53C875 (Ultra-Wide with onboard NIC).
The 810 connects to a cdrom and tape drive on the front left. The 875
connects to the actual harddisk array to the right.

Now, trying to install or boot via CDROM or Floppy stalls after freebsd
tries to reset the two channels on the 875 card. Console info:
Timecounter "alpha" frequency 532801256 Hz
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI Bus reset delivered.
(noperiph:sym2:0:-1:-1): SCSI Bus reset delivered.

The system will remain "stuck" after last line. No further messages appear
on the console. However, the 810 bus appears recognized because if I remove
the 875 card, and swap the tape with a spare SCSI drive, I
can install and boot FreeBSD.

But the 875 card appears functional; At the SRM (version 6.0-4 most recent)
the test command works the array -and all other components- just
fine.

I need the array, but what am I missing as Symbios (NCR) should be
supported no problem?

Thanks,
Oliver
opml@terraflux.com