Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 02:52:40 -0500
From:      Kevin Miller <sar@fourohfour.ods.org>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installing 4.6 from cd problems -- suggested solution

I was having problems, as other have, installing 4.6 from cd.  I posted
to freebsd-chat just to test the water and see if anyone else was
experiencing this also.  I saw a post to freebsd-stable mentioning an
addition to the /boot/loader.conf.  Since it is kinda difficult to
change that line in the loader.conf on a cd (unless its rewritable), I
thought 'what about setting it at boot.'  I tried just that, and it
worked.  I had to change the line in the /boot/loader.conf file once I
got it installed so it would read the a cd w/out having the dma problem
it was having during install, but at least it works now.  The suggested
line was:

hw.ata.atapi_dma=1

and if you hit a key (other than Enter) at the bootloader prompt during
CD boot, and type:

set hw.ata.atapi_dma=1

it should let it install.

Sorry if I said more than I should have, as far as 'anyone should know
that', but I'm old to unix, but new to freebsd, and i had to learn by
trial and error (along with burning 4 extra copies of the install CD
before I saw the suggestion).  Hope this helps.

Kevin Miller

BTW.. I have an AOpen 52x cdrom that it seems a majority of the people
having this problem also have.