Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:54:06 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Christian_Fl=FCgel?= <Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.5 to current fails

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:29:49PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 24-Apr-2002 Christian Flügel wrote:
[snip]

> > make buildworld: works ok.
> > make buildkernel: works ok.
> > copy GENERIC.hints to /boot/device.hints: works ok.
> > make installkernel: stops with error: "kldxref not found"
>
> This is a bug in installkernel.  Bug Peter Wemm peter@FreeBSD.org to fix it
> since he broke it. :)  Or find somone else who groks the src/Makefile.inc1
> stuff.

It's already been pointed out that this is a non-fatal error in
'installworld.' However, I have (and think I posted somewhere?) some
kludgey patches that build kldxref(8) as a cross-tool so that it works
for 4.5 to 5.0 upgrades. But it's not really the "right" fix (since it
is not a true cross-tool), so I haven't committed it.