Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:36:09 -0500
From:      dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland)
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Codeweavers's crossover Office on FreeBSD?

I spent part of my weekend playing with CrossOver Office, and thought
I should report my results here for the archives.  And maybe somebody
will wallop me with a clue about Wine.

I had limited success with linux_base-6, but once I upgraded to
linux_base-7 I was able to install CrossOver as a normal user and then
MS Office 2000 Pro.  My experience generally resembles that of
"Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>, who wrote:

>> Interesting, I couldn't resist and tried. It seems to be installed now,
>> although I'm getting a bunch of
>> linux: 'ioctl' fd=6, cmd=0x7201 ('r',1) not implemented

I'm seeing those too.

> No luck. Although I finally managed to install MS Office '97, trying
> to run Office programs mostly results in
>
> linux: syscall ptrace is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=2865)

I haven't seen that, though.

> and wine quits.

I can start any of Word, PowerPoint or Exel, but on top of the
application window I get a transient window complaining, "Required
registry information is missing and this application cannot run.
Please rerun setup to correct this problem."  When I click on OK (the
only choice...grrrr), the transient closes, and the application closes
right behind it, apparently cleanly.

Now, I'm darned impressed it gets that far, but it's not really
_useful_.  That is, it doesn't let me laugh in the teeth of Word and
PowerPoint in the presence of my colleagues; the best I can manage is
a rueful chuckle under my breath, and they don't pay any attention to
that behavior any more.

Seriously, I suspect this may be a wine configuration problem, but I
don't know much at all about wine.  I can find some more time to spend
on this if someone will tell me there's hope, but for now I've run out
of steam and patience.  Good luck to anyone else taking a stab at
this.

Cheers,
Michael

--
    D. Michael McFarland
    Visiting Senior Research Scientist & Visiting Lecturer