Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:26:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        dak <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Implementing a new FS with loadable modules

Sorry for the late reply.

In message <3CD58270.DF9B8F06@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
> dak wrote:

> 2)	Stacking VFS layer
>
> 	Examples: nullfs; there are no other working examples.

Dak, you might want to check my FiST system:

	http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/research/fist/

I have working examples for fbsd 3.x for some time, including an encryption
file system called Cryptfs.  It uses "wrapfs" templates that include more
functionality than nullfs.  However, it will be easier to understand nullfs
first, as Terry suggests.

My students and I have been updating the stackable templates we have (yes,
*templates*! :-) for fbsd 4.5 recently.  We discovered and fixed a bunch of
bugs found using FSX and other custom f/s exercisers we wrote.  Right now
we're trying to deal with some odd interaction b/t read+write and page ops.
(Yes, we're working around the VFS, not fixing it; the VFS problems are well
known and hopefully are/will be fixed in 5.x.)  We hope to release a
fully-working template for fbsd 4.5 this month.

An announcement will be made on this list.  Testers will be more than
welcome at that time.

Erez.