Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:01:59 +0200
From:      anselmg@t-online.de (Anselm Garbe)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP LaserJet 1000

Hy hackers,

I'd like to use the "Windows-only GDI-Printer HP LaserJet 1000" with FreeBSD, because of some days ago, there's a workaround on lunixprinting.org, which describes, how to use this printer without Windows.

First of all, this printer is an usb-only printer and was detected by a 4.6-STABLE kernel (FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #2: Sat Aug 31 15:51:04 CEST 2002) as follows:

[...]
uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xa400-0xa41f irq 9 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1000, rev 1.10/1.20, addr 2, iclass 7/1
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xa800-0xa81f irq 9 at device 7.3 on pci0
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
[...]

The device /dev/ulpt0 exists, of course.

The problem of this printer ist, that it has (maybe the reason, because it's really cheap, around $300) no firmware, so it must be downloaded everytime, the printer is switched on again. On the win-driver cd-rom the firmware resists in a file called sihp1000.img, which contains this firmware.
Before this printer would do anything, you need to download this firmware first and the printer will be ready to print a special ZJS format, which is not important for my question (but you could find out more related stuff at http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000).

The problem I got is, that, if I try to send the firmware to the printer via:

cat sihp1000.img>/dev/ulpt0

I got the following error:
cat: stdout: Input/output error

If I echo something to this device, there's no problem, BUT it won't work, because the printer does not understand anything, before getting his firmware, and afterwards it'd only understand this special ZJS-format, no ascii, no PostScript...

It seems, but I've not the time in the moment to try it under linux, that the way described on linuxprinting.org works under linux boxes...

Any hints, how I could send the image file to the printer?

Thanks,
--Anselm