Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:59:32 +0200
From:      Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@steinba.ch>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Repeated disconnects immediately after connection establishment

Hi,

for about three weeks now, I experience some strange problems
with i4b running on NetBSD/i386 1.5.x:

The machine runs fine for a while (dial-on-demand works fine),
but then for some reason, it immediately disconnects directly
after a new connection has been established. After some five
seconds, it dials out again, and again immediately disconnects.
This repeats again and again although I have
    dialretries             = 10
    dialrandincr            = on
    recoverytime            = 10
    usedown                 = on
    downtries               = 2
    downtime                = 120
in my isdnd.rc file. The interface is not marked "down".

The following is the typical output in this situation:
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP rate 120 sec/unit (conf)
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP dialing out from xxx to yyy
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP outgoing call proceeding (ctl 0, ch 0)
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP outgoing call active (ctl 0, ch 0, isp0)
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP outgoing call disconnected (local)
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP cause 0: normal call clearing (I4B)
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP charging: 0 units, 0 seconds
    CHD 00004 I4BPPP accounting: in 116, out 102 (in 0, out 0)
and so on.

After manually switching the interface down and (after some
time) up again, the same problems continue. I have to reboot
the machine to have a working router again. But some time
later, the problems will re-appear.

The router has been running 1.5.2 (with i4b) for months without
problems. I have no idea what I might have changed which
causes these problems. Also, upgrading to 1.5.3_RC1 did not
help. (i4b is at 0.96.0.)

Has anyone experienced similar problems?
Any explanation for this behaviour?
Why does isdnd not switch the interface down?

Regards
    Ingolf