Date:      27 Oct 2002 23:51:57 +0100
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.7R: no sound when recording with ffmpeg?

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 07:19, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2002 01:07:22 +0200
> "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
> GWK> Since I upgraded to 4.7R, I don't capture sound any more.
>
> 	Urk!
>
> GWK> Ffmpeg does record sound (if I turn up the recording volume, I get
> GWK> audible static), it just doesn't seem to activate the audio output of
> GWK> the tuner any more.
>
> 	Strange, this is achieved by simply opening /dev/tuner0 (it
> still works for me on 4.7-STABLE about two weeks old). The only other
> thing it depends on is proper mixer settings (record level and device
> are classic gotchas). Is /dev/tuner0 still there and writeable to
> whichever user runs ffmpeg ?

Thanks Steve, that was it.  /dev/tuner0 was 0444, which oddly didn't
cause any error message from ffmpeg, but it didn't activate the sound.

Now after a chown $USER and chmod 644 sound works.

> GWK> Mencoder does not have this problem, it still records audio.  But
> GWK> with Mencoder I can only grab 6 to 7 fps :-(
>
> 	Double urk! Mencoder and ffmpeg do this in exactly the same
> way.

Hmm, the mplayer/mencoder from ports didn't want to grab at all when I
tried it in 4.6-R.  It said something about no matching colorspace.

I applied the patch of pb@ludd.luth.se
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=8374+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-multimedia/20021006.freebsd-multimedia).

Now that you say it should work I searched the mail archives again and
found that a frame rate of 16 was hardcoded in that patch. Yikes! When I
remove that hardcoding I get 19-20 fps mpeg4 at full PAL resolution.
This is with a Pentium 4A 2 GHz.

With ffmpeg, encoding as mjpeg and no audio compression, I can capture
full resolution with just occasional jerkyness.

All this is with your recent one-line bktr patch for sync generation.

--
Regards,
Georg.