Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:09:17 +0100
From:      Thomas Zenker <thz@Lennartz-electronic.de>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet problem

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:32:09PM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> Wow, talk about Terry getting off-topic again...
>
> Anyway, out of curiosity, did anyone figure out anything about what is
> wrong with USB ethernet?  I have this feeling that it's just a driver bug,
> but since so few developers use usb ethernet cards, it hasn't been
> noticed.
>
> Thomas, you noted that your USB ethernet performance is worse with 4.4
> than it was with 4.3.  Could you setup a test where you use a 4.3/usb
> client and then 4.3 & 4.4 pci servers?  (With the server being the one
> primarily sending.)  This would be useful in telling us if the changes
> which affect you are tcp stack changes, or if something in the usb
> subsystem changed.  Equalize the slowstart flightsizes and receive / send
> buffers in all test cases, of course.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

Hi Mike,

back from holidays...

because this is now discussed in different threads, on -stable and
on -net, I will try to recapitulate what has happened and keep this
on -net "USB ethernet problem".

The performance problems apeared after updating my test system from
4.3 to 4.4 with Netgear EA101 USB/ethernet adaptor (kue driver).
Performance dropped by a factor of 10 or more. The server in all
cases was 4.4. After testing different slowstart flightsizes and
send/recv buffer sizes with ttcp the findings were, that mostly the
recvspace reduced to 16K (as in 4.3) recovered the performance. See
also my message to -stable from 2001/12/14. The usb host controller
on this system is a VIA 83C572 (UHCI).

Now going to the final embedded hardware, the suprise was a hanging
usb driver. The strange thing is, this does not happen while testing
with ttcp, but only if the data is written to disk. The following
kernel messages are printed:

usb0: host controller process error
usb0: host controller halted
kue0: watchdog timeout
kue0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT

this comes from uhci_intr() in dev/usb/uhci.c. Aparently the
usb0-messages reflect a hw status register!? This happens very
quickly with 4.4 (it is impossible to install over usb/ethernet),
but I have seen it today for the first time with 4.3 also. The usb
host controller is UHCI Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4).

On none of the systems is the interrupt shared. Interrupts are
allocated the same way on 4.3 and 4.4.  hw.ata.wc has no influence.
It looks like a longstanding, but not discovered issue.

as for the performance tests: the test from 2001/12/14 (-stable)
were done with 4.4&4.3 as client, server was 4.4 - primarily sending.
Do you mean to repeat the tests with a 4.3 server?

-- Thomas Zenker
   c/o Lennartz electronic GmbH
   Bismarckstrasse 136, D-72072 Tuebingen, Germany
   Phone:  +49-(0)7071-93550
   Email:  thz@lennartz-electronic.de