Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:59:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, dillon@freebsd.org
Subject:   TCP interactions (was: Re: Linux and FreeBSD poor network performance)

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, matthew c. mead wrote:

> I have a Linux box and FreeBSD box sitting on a 100Mbit ethernet segment
> that cannot seem to talk to one another faster than 150K/s.  I've been
> using scp, ftp, http, to test this.

And you've done tests in both directions, or just in one?

> A Windows box on the same segment can send/receive at 6MB/s with either
> box, but for some reason the FreeBSD box and Linux box are having some
> weird interaction.  My guess is I need to tune one or the other's tcp
> stack.  Any hints?  Anyone seen this?
>
> FreeBSD box is FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2.  Linux box is Gentoo Linux 1.4rc1
> with kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r10.  Windows box is Windows 2000 sp3.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help... I'm out of ideas.

Could you try using a non-TCP performance measurement tool of some sort?
I.e., some sort of UDP throughput test.  Because of your comment about the
two boxes talking to windows fine, it sounds likely to be a TCP
interaction, but it would be useful to check and see.

I've CC'd Matt Dillon because he's fixed a number of subtle TCP bugs of
this sort in the past and can probably provide some debugging guidance.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories