Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:02:43 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:33:59PM -0800, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
>
> > So I've learned how to do basic scripting in /bin/sh. But boy-oh-boy is that
> > language arcane. ;-)
> >
> > What other language do you guys advise for system administration tasks such
> > as
> <SNIP>
>
> Perl is _THE_ sysadmin language, really.  It runs on just about
> everything, and in fact, most common versions of UNIX come with it already
> installed.

<SNIP>

- Shell, well you mastered that :)
- Unix tools to complement the shell, awk, sed, grep(s), ed (yes, I said
  ed :), using "ed" in scripts with "here" documents is a much underused
  facility these days), find (OT can someone explain to me why find on
  FreeBSD is *so* slow), etc etc.
- Perl ..*sigh*.. Perl is devil spawn, but is as inevitable as the
  weather. It is a syntactic, semantic witches cauldron. Unfortunately
  some familiarity with it generally advisable. It does run everywhere,
  but don't be fooled into thinking that it survives change well, new
  versions do break old scripts sometimes. The book "Programming Perl"
  is not the book to learn it from, it is as eccentrically written as
  the language itself.
  Perl is the ultimate contradiction of the Unix tool philosophy.. but
  let's not get into that :)
- I see some recommendations for Python, I have heard many good things
  about it as well, it sits high on my list of things to look at.

--
Regards
Cliff