Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 14:09:40 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "/dev/nsa0: Device not configured"

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:24:44AM -0700, richard childers wrote:
> (2), I've noticed in the boot messages that the kernel sees the SCSI
> controller (ahc0) but never does the "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to
> settle" thing, and never reports seeing the attached 8mm drive at ID #4. The

So FreeBSD doesn't probe it right, no driver gets installed and hence you
can't use /dev/nsa0 since there's nothing on it.

> This hardware works perfectly under FreeBSD 4.3 but not under 4.4 or 4.5;
> and the error reported under 4.4 and 4.5 is identical.

Very strange, the driver seems to be updated a lot since 4.3 you might
take a look at the changes from that version to get a clue what's causing
this.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/ahc_pci.c
It is that controller right?

> And now, I will go off and do a 'MAKEDEV'; and, you know, I think I *did* do
> this, 'way back last week when I was first getting into this.
>
> But, really, if the /dev entries exist, and their major and minor numbers
> are as coded in /dev/MAKEDEV (which is a shellscript) remaking them should
> not effect anything.

Indeed, since no driver gets loaded the existance of a device is totally
irrelevant here. Your /dev/nsa0 does exist and is fine. There's just
no driver loaded for your drive.

Did you check if your tape drive was doing anything the moment it got probed?
It might be still rewinding/initialising the tape or so, and that might
cause the faulty probe too.

> -- richard

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator

email: axel@axel.truedestiny.net
       a.scheepers@iae.nl
http://axel.truedestiny.net/~axel
A new koan:

	If you have some ice cream, I will give it to you.

	If you have no ice cream, I will take it away from you.

It is an ice cream koan.