Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:48:55 +0200
From:      Michael Spector <michael@zend.com>
To:        freebsd-binup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: binup project

On Friday 07 March 2003 03:15, you wrote:
> On 2003.03.06 14:59:00 +0200, Michael Spector wrote:
> > Can anybody say me what is the status of this project?
>
> I don't think anybody are actively working on the project at the moment=
=2E
> A few months ago I started a development document but I have not gotten
> much further since I stranded on how to deal with a few issues (mainly
> handling of version numbers and patches).
>
> > Is this possible to participate?
>
> Certainly - anything to get things going would be very helpful.
>
> I think the current code should be replaced with something based on
> HTTP, but I don't know what other people on the lists things about that=
=2E

What do you think about this scheme:

Server side:
--------------
Webserver (Apache), database (MySQL).
Server can be written in PHP (easy to implement interraction with DB,
more secure, easy to maintain, use of HTTP(S) protocol)

Client side:
--------------
Whatever (C program)

Interraction scheme:
----------------------

   Client                                      =09=09=09 Server          =
                          DB
   -------                                      =09=09=09--------        =
                            -----
1)        --> GET list?rel=3D4.7p3&... =09----------------->=09          =
                                                   (request the list of p=
ackages for release 4.7p3)
                                                                         =
       --->   SELECT FROM ... ---->
                                                                         =
       <---    (result)    <--------------
         <---  list.txt (in some format) <-----------------

2) (calculations: create list of
     needed updates)

3)  foreach $update {
         =20
                                                                         =
=2E....
          <--------- package retreival ------------------
     }

Server can hold cache of most requested files. If file doesn't exist on t=
he server it can return redirection to another server.

This is my suggestion (without going into details). If you find this temp=
ting, I would like to help with developement.

--=20