Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:43:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      chgu@carebears.mine.nu
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"]

Subject: Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"
From:    chgu@carebears.mine.nu
Date:    Mon, July 7, 2003 5:32 pm
To:      "Jerry Hicks" <gehicks@alltel.net>

> On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 07:51  AM, Paul Robinson wrote:
>
>> The big one is gcc. Remove that, and we're really rolling. The
>> alternatives
>> aren't very good though - TenDRA? I remember the troll a few weeks ago
suggesting this, and maybe it's a plan. The impact would be massive
though.

> Plan 9's compilers are the closest thing I've seen toward a compiler
that could be used to bootstrap a BSD.  I believe one would pay a hefty
price in terms of optimization however.

> I actually got the assembler, compiler and linker working on Freebsd a
while back.  The Plan 9 compiler suite generates COFF output though and
I needed to get a crt0 set up for it (which I never did).  FreeBSD's
IBCS image activator was able to load the images without a hitch.

>> All those makefiles with command line options to be passed to gcc...
>
> Bah, child's play :-)

Why dont strip FreeBSD down as much as possible and try to make ports of
the software. Like sendmail. Why is sendmail in /usr/src ? i guess it
would be better to have in in ports. the same with cvs.

I guess there is much software in /usr/src that dont "need" to be there.
My opinion is to keep FreeBSD`s /usr/src small.

(god damn, my mailclient dont really under stand the "replay"-word. sorry,
Jerry Hicks.)