Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:13:04 +1000
From:      "Tim McCullagh" <timbo@halenet.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD formating  CF disks

Hi All

I have seen a number of people are having difficulties getting CF cards to
boot when installed in  diskless machines that use CF cards to boot memory
file systems on the diskless computers.  Mainly firewalls and wireless
devices use these CF cards

I have  Ramstar CF cards.  The first 4 all worked but the last 12 I have
got won't.  I know other ISP's having similar problems with other brands.

I have spent a heap of time on finding a solution without finding a
solution.  The only thing I found that
may explain what is going on is below.  It relates to NetBSD and is possibly
the same reason in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  I am not sure how to go about
fixing
it though.

Can anyone tell me where I would find the info or which mailing list I
should be using on how to solve this.? TIA

 Maybe the OpenBSD's and FreeBSD's bootloaders are still affected by a
 bug which used to affect NetBSD's? Here is the log message for a patch
 I made to NetBSD:

   revision 1.9
   date: 2002/10/10 18:52:42;  author: dyoung;  state: Exp;  lines: +39 -1

   Introduce biosdiskreset(), and call it to reset the disk (with Int
   0x13 Function 0) after a read error. This is a requirement mentioned
   in most BIOS documentation.

   This answers PR 18591.

   Incidentally, on the Soekris Engineering net45x1 single-board
   computer, this fixes a bug where the bootloader corrupts the kernel
   while loading it from certain varieties of CompactFlash card
   (especially varieties identified by NetBSD as <TOSHIBA THNCF064MBA>).

 The patch affected sys/arch/i386/stand/lib/bios_disk.S. You might examine
 the equivalent OpenBSD source file to find out if it does a proper disk
 reset on read failures.

 regards

 Tim