Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:28:31 +0000
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis@ntlworld.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   JDK 1.3.1 performance

Java benchmark using Volano client/server

Results are scaled, bigger is better.

classic=09=091.000 (1094 messages per second)
  +tya=09=091.107
  +shujit=091.114
  +OpenJIT=091.154
native=09=090.675
  +tya=09=090.868
  +shujit=090.833
  +OpenJIT=090.847
HotSpot -Xint=090.983
  client=091.427
  server=090.746

jdk1.4 -Xint=090.896
  client=091.301
  server=091.234

These benchmarks should be important to people running networked java=20
programs. Please note, I only ran the tests once, and both client and ser=
ver=20
are sitting on the same box.

The JDK1.3.1 is with my own patches (includes some maybe bad fixes for=20
- -native).

I expected -native to have a much lower performance than -classic as Free=
BSD#s=20
userland threads have much heavier context switching than Java's green=20
threads (which by nature, know about what it's running). What is surprisi=
ng=20
is that -server performs so badly whereas on 1.4, it performs reasonably.

These results tell me that we need KSE's for native threading to be truel=
y=20
effective and that we should not implement Java's threading on top of a=20
KSEified pthread but directly on FreeBSD-5's KSE api.

I'm tempted to roll a different threading for native on FreeBSD 4 based u=
pon=20
rfork()...

Just my $0.02 worth...

- --=20
Antony T Curtis BSc     Unix Analyst Programmer
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/antony.t.curtis/