Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:10:40 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57@plosh.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/rc.d/location script issues... (location.sh)

So I have been using Lars Eggert's location.sh (v1.25) script (seen at
http://www.isi.edu/larse/etc.html), and it's just what I am looking for
as I am usually at several sites, with a mix of wireless and wired net
access. (esp. now that I can use the Broadcom NIC on my Inspiron 5100 in
-current - Yay!)  However I have some issues, and I wondered whether
anyone has come across them, and if they got around them.

First - is there any way to specify what interfaces get probed by the
script?  With my wireless card, I have three possible NIC's - the
wireless card (wi0), the on-board Broadcom BCM4401 (bfe0), and the
support for a Firewire NIC (fwe0).  Now I don't ever see myself plugging
in a Firewire NIC anytime soon, so I would rather not have that
interface probed.  I have tried setting "network_interfaces="wi0 bfe0
lo0"" in rc.conf, but it looks like location.sh doesn't honor it.

Second - Anyone get this around 10 times when each interface doesn't get
a response to a ping?

Can't grep /var/run/dhclient.leases : No such file or directory

(another reason why I don't want fwe0 probed, it's another delay)

Third - How do you find out what IP should be probed?.  I have been able
to detect wireless hubs/AP's just fine, but esp. on wired nets, I have
tried probing switches, default route, etc. and I get no ping response.

Also - does anyone have a setup for using T-Mobile Hotspot? (do they keep
their AP's on the same RFC1918 address?)

Thanks in advance with any tips you can provide - Peter
--
[ http://www.plosh.net/ ] - "Have you violated the DMCA today?"