Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:11:00 -0400
From:      Josh Osborne <dsbten.20.stripes@antichef.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   user ppp's "nat proxy" under FreeBSD 5.1

I'm using the user land ppp under 5.1 and I have this in the
ppp.conf:

 nat enable yes
 nat log yes
 nat unregistered_only yes
 nat proxy type no_encode port 80 server 10.0.0.1:3128 proto tcp src 10.0.0.29

before I execute the proxy line the web browser on 10.0.0.29 works
fine, after it is dead in the water.  (10.0.0.1 is the same machine
that is running the user land ppp, and doing the NATing)  The web
proxy (squid) on 10.0.0.1 doesn't see any requests.  To remove
configuration of squid from the picture I just ran "ttcp -r -p
3128" on 10.0.0.1.  I attempted to use the web browser on 10.0.0.29
agian, and got nothing (no connections to ttcp, and nothing in the
web browser).  When I just attempted to connect to 10.0.0.1:3128
from a random port on 10.0.0.29 I saw the connection just fine.

I built a copy of libalias and ppp with debugging on and set some
breakpoints.  The libalias code is definitly attempting to do
*something* with the port 80 connections, but I can't really tell
what.

Is that proxy line roughly correct?  Is it expected to work on 5.1?
Am I smoking too much crack?  Not enough?  Is there a better way
to do this anyway?