Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 16:34:23 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jerry M. Howell II" <jmhowell@jmhowell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good FreeBSD book

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Sunday, 25 May 2003 at  0:22:49 -0600, Jerry M. Howell II wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 05:56:11PM -0500, Jonathan wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>>  I recently got "FreeBSD: An Open-Source operating system for your personal
>> computer", by Annelise Anderson. I must say this is a really excellent
>> introduction to FreeBSD. Although the book covers FreeBSD 4.3, much of the
>> material is still relevant to 4.8. A 4.8 CD was included with the book. She
>> has an entire chapter on ports plus a very nice chapter on kernel
>> configuration and compiling. She covers the commands: kldstat, kldload,
>> dmesg, ldconfig, last, netstat, w, who, ps and top. She covers cvsup too.  I
>> learned a lot about my new FreeBSD by reading this book.
>>
>> http://www.bsdmall.com/freebosforyo.html
>
> I personaly liked FreeBSD Unleashed even though I'm not a big SAMS
> advocate.

Agreed.  SAMS have a bad reputation, but this book is surprisingly
good.

> Most of my books are from O'Reilly but they did a realy good job on
> this book. two thumbs up. Anyone else have any recomendations,
> besides the obvoius handbook and other websites posted on the
> freebsd site?

Well, since you mention O'Reilly, and at the risk of blowing my own
trumpet, take a look at "The Complete FreeBSD", fourth edition, which
is hot off the press.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cfreebsd/desc.html.

Greg

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ