Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:40:30 -0500
From:      Paul Lambert <eb30750@HotPOP.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem Report i386/39574

This problem was reported in version 4.4 back in June of 2002.  I reported
this problem in June of 2003 but can find no entry or reference to my
reported problem.  However, my problem is the same as 39574.

The error goes like this.  You get all the way through the install setup
and as soon as you confirm the install you get the error message: error
mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist.  No such file of directory.

I read some of the trouble shooting documents.  I thought the problem was
the fact that I had the my CDROM as the slave on the at1 IDE
interface.  There was something in the documentation that states FreeBSD is
expecting disk0 to be drive 1 and disk1 to be drive 2.  After I changed the
CDROM to the master I still got the same results.  (My hard drive is on the
at0 IDE interface.  FreeBSD isn't expecting both the CDROM and targeted
hard drive to be on the same interface now is it?)

This error has propagated since the time it was reported in Version 4.4 to
4.8 and now 5.1.  (I have recently tried 4.8 and 5.1 with the same results,
thougth the 5.1 error code is not as descriptive.)  I copied FreeBSD and
made my own CDROM media for both.

This is a vary serious problem.  FreeBSD should consider discontinuing
support for floppy, serial, etc. installation methods and only offer CDROM
and Network.  Installing from a CDROM should be effortless, it was when I
installed FreeBSD 2.7 way back when.

The CDROM is referred to as acd0 when the kernel boots, not acd0c.  When
running the emergency shell I was able to see acd0a and acd0c.  I renamed
acd0c to acd0 and got a different error.

Therefore, the fact that I can boot and FreeBSD can read the install
programs from the CDROM confirms that this device is supported by FreeBSD
and that the error is most likely a distribution configuration error.  Is
there a work around?  How about giving some priority to this problem.  It
appears many can't even install FreeBSD via CDROM.

Paul