Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:17:36 -0700
From:      Duncan Patton a Campbell <campbell@neotext.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netweirdness

--=.U1:xBrpUFcRAeW

We had a strangeness turn up today that is related only
indirectly to FreeBSD (skip if this offends you).

We have five servers at three remote locations: three in Burnaby Can.
and two others in Sydney Aus. and Edmonton Can.  The Burnaby
boxes are all on the same subnet.  Routing in *one* direction
from *one* box on the Burnaby subnet to Australia (and only Aus!)
was broken inside our ISP's router.  The problem just went away
after I reported it.

So  the question I have here is how bad is the average security
on ISPs and is there much that can be done at our end to prevent
the service from being hacked?  Last week the modem went for
a loop and forgot its mind.

Thanks,

Dhu

--=.U1:xBrpUFcRAeW