Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vortechz <vortechz@lysator.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   advocacy/67580: Hints for boot failures.

>Number:         67580
>Category:       advocacy
>Synopsis:       Hints for boot failures.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
There are problems leading to instant boot panic on some machines.
FreeBSD suffers from this problem whereas OpenBSD and Linux kernels
does not. I would like to see a possibility to se a text either in the
bootloader, the CLI or the visualconfig about such problems and how they
might be worked around using proper "set" directives.
(A better alternative would be to make the proper change in the
kernel and make the problem go away.)

For example: use: "set hw.pcic.intr_path=1" if your laptop hangs
with a kernel panic due to hard-routed irq.

>How-To-Repeat:
Boot the FreeBSD-4.10 CD on my laptop, a "BEST8950".