Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:19:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U Area Removal

:On Wednesday 10 November 2004 07:00 pm, David Schultz wrote:
:
:> I propose to remove the ability to swap the U area, allocating
:> p_stats from malloced memory instead.  Medium-term scheduling and
:> swapping of kernel stacks would be retained.
:
:For what its worth, I support this change.  With the plimit/pstats fixes
:of course. :-)
:
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com

    I've had u-area swapping turned off almost from day-1 in DragonFly
    with no adverse effects.  I'm still using the area for a stack so
    I haven't completely ripped it out, but as far as the swapping goes
    I think it's a good idea to rip it out.  It does significantly simplify
    certain aspects of the kernel.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>