Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:18:09 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Drop "New Technology" Moniker

I have said this in the past.  Now seems like a pertinent time to express
this opinion again.

Please let -STABLE be stable and -CURRENT be the development branch.
Please do not call anything from the -CURRENT branch a -RELEASE.  Please do
not label code as a "new technology release" as a notional label.  Please
either release the code or don't.

Instead of waiting for a "dot-oh" release to know that the next major
version of FreeBSD is ready for prime time, users wait for a "this time we
really mean it" release announcement.  The difference is mostly semantic.
The old way was more rigorous.  I like the old way better.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells