Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 12:48:03 -0400
From:      "Philip" <phil@rootnet.ca>
To:        <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mysql: ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'

I am running FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p16

This is a new server install. I have installed freebsd freshly and
correctly. I cvsup'ed and compiled new kernel with new sources. I have the
ports collection installed. SO i wanted to intall the ports version of
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_20989112.html>; mysql. I
am having serious issues with this ( i think it may be my
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_20989112.html>; hardware
firewall - not sure )
this is what i did and what happened:
i installed mysql 5
Following the instructions:

 | >  <http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_20989112.html>; cd
/usr/ports/databases/mysql5---versionnum

 | > make install clean

and then again for mysql-client
At this time i think its ready to be played with (am i wrong?)
so i try to start mysql ( i try safe start [safe_mysqld] and regular start)

 | > /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 52346
 |> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
Abort trap
040514 02:37:50  mysqld ended

This is the problem: i can NOT connect to mysql!
So at this time, i think its a issue with the version of 'bsd and the
version of '
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_20989112.html>; sql im
using. so i pkg_delete it and install version 4 and then 3.23 respectively.
no luck, same prob. i run mysql_install_db  for some help and try to connect
regularly and This is what happens::

 | > ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock'

i then went into my.cnf and commented out the port number 3306 after
figuring that this is the port that mysql connects to and its being blocked
for some reason. no luck again.
I then look at my /var/log/messages to see why mysql wont start and if its
sending any kernel mesg's this is what i get

kernel: pid 27201 (mysqld), uid 10**: exited on signal 6

WHY is this happening? Please help me, i have been working on this for the
past couple of days. Thank you for all your time and patience.
and regarding the
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_20989112.html>; firewall
that is on freebsd

 | > ipfw show
 | ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
hmm
mysql_(client and server) 3.23.58_2 is sitting on the server as we speak
All i want is to have a working mysql. Why isnt' there any good
documentation for FreeBSD and mysql? if anyone knows of any? Thanks again
Any other question please feel free to ask.. thanks