Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:00:52 +0100
From:      Marco Trentini <mark@remotelab.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New /dev/rtc driver for vmware

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:04:02PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Marco Trentini wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm using vmware without rct module because if I load that module
> > (and load a virtual machine) I get a panic when shutdown the (real)
> > machine (on FreeBSD 5.2RC and last but one version of vmware3 port).
>
> Yeah, I fixed that a few days ago in the port, and this version of rtc.c
> includes the fix as well.
>
> > Can you explain in a nutshell the main advantages to use this module?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Well, it's _supposed_ to give you more accurate clocking in win98 VMs, and
> I think that it should help the others as well, but I haven't been a
> vmware user long enough to tell.  This is why I'd like the opinion of some
> longtime vmware users to see how this new driver compares to the previous
> driver and/or how it compares to running without the driver with various
> virtual machine types.

That's great!

So, updating the port vmware (last version) and rtc (your version) not
only I don't get more the panic at shutdown phase but I've seen a lot of
improvements in my Virtual Machine.

Now the audio/video (as .mp3 and .mpg) are very fluid. When I worked
without the rtc module, the audio/video were unusable because them were
reproduced jerkily.

I've also noted a general improvement on the rapidity to run
applications.

A positive vote for me :)

I run vmware on FreeBSD RELEASE-5.2 with "options HZ=1500" in my kernel
and my virtual machine is a Windows 2000 Pro with SP4.

Many thanks.

--
Marco Trentini                mark@remotelab.org
http://www.remotelab.org/