Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:42:33 -0400
From:      mmarkows@twcny.rr.com
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   how ro recover encrypted slice

Hi,

I mounted a GEOM-encrypted slice to /home2 and stored all my data there. Two days ago, I decided to update my FreeBSD from 5.2 to 5.2.1. I have done it several times before, so I felt self-assured. I backed up my config files, forgetting unfortunately about /etc/gbde/ad1s2.

During the update procedure my system was messed up to the extent that it seemed reasonable to do a clean install of 5.2.1. I did it without saving /etc/gbde/ad1s2, and without touching the encrypted slice.

Now, I am in a predicament because I cannot access my files that I need for my work tomorrow. I know that I messed up, but my last backup is 3 weeks old, and essentially it is no good any more.

Is there any way to recover the data? I have 13 hours to do it.

Thank you for your time.

Maciej.