Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:26:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      tthorsten@yahoo.de
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem in attaching newly encrypted disk

Hi,

I have a serious problem after I have done the following steps:

Initalized new encrypted disk with
  gbde init /dev/ad1s1c -i -L /etc/gbde/ad1s1c
   -> sector_size = 2048
   -> one key

Attached it to the kernel via
  gbde attach ad1s1c -l /etc/gbde/ad1s1c

Created new filesystem with
  newfs -U /dev/ad1s1c.bde

Mounted the filesystem with
  mount /dev/ad1s1c.bde /dsk

Then I put all my private data onto the newly created encrypted disk and
unmounted and detached it from kernel before halting the system.

When I started the system again and tried to attach the disk again with
  gbde attach ad1s1c -l /etc/gbde/ad1s1c
NOTHING HAPPENS! There will no /dev/ad1s1c.bde device there to mount.
The Passphrase is correct!

So I made a dd of the first 1MB of /dev/ad1s1c and did a strings on it.
See output at end of this mail.
There are Error MEssages like "Read Boot error", "not a directory", "not ufs format"
etc. I do not have such error messages in the dd output from other encrypted partitions
I use.

What went wrong? Does anybody have an answer or is all my data lost?
I would be very happy, if anybody could help me with this.

Regards,
Thorsten

Here the strings output of the first 1MB of /dev/ad1s1c:
Read
Boot
  error
ad1s1