Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:40:57 +0100
From:      Michael Riexinger <michael.riexinger@de.clara.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror problems

Hi,

I set up FreeBSD 5.3 with gmirror for my 2 ide disks ad0 and ad1. So the
rootfs is included in the mirror. I wanted to test what happens when
one disk fails, so I removed ad1. Unfortunately after a reboot the
system didn't boot anymore with the error:
GEOM_MIRROR: Force device mirror0 start due to timeout
and
GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror0 destroyed

So I mounted the rootfs from ad0: which worked fine. I attached the ad1
again, rebooted and booting from the mirror went and gmirror rebuilded
the raid. My next test was putting ad1 off and replacing it with a new
hd, did that, rebooted and again:

GEOM_MIRROR: Force device mirror0 start due to timeout
and
GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror0 destroyed

Why is that? Shouldn't gmirror detect the new drive and rebuild the
mirror?
Thanks!

Michael Riexinger
systems engineer

--
claranet gmbh   internet service provider
tel   +49 (0) 69  - 40 80 18 - 300