Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:55:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp5/cvsup3 statistics

The placve where I work has been mostly taken over by L***x weenies.
It seems at least once a week I get paged about one of their servers
being down.  Meanwhile, I have a machine which is under far more load
every night than those machines have ever encountered (real load, that
is, and not fake load caused by lots of processes piling up waiting for
broken NFS servers)...

xyz           up 161+05:24,     0 users,  load 13.83, 10.39,  7.64

(This is the machine which serves ftp5 and cvsup3, and still quite
responsive, I might add.)

You might enjoy the graph at
<http://khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu/wollman/xyz-load.png>.
(This machine is a 1-GHz Pentium III with 1536 M of main memory;
system, swap, and mail archives are on Fibre Channel RAID-5;
the rest of cvsup3 is on FC RAID-0; the FTP archives are spread
across two RAID-0 configurations (one on the SAN, one local U160 SCSI)
and a single U320 drive for ports distfiles.  System assembled by
ASA Computers from Intel components, with storage added by us.)

-GAWollman