Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:47:49 -0800
From:      richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Greg Collins <gregcoll@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem

Well, you know, freebsd-mobile is -not- a Windows support line.

However, I'd try going to the Toshiba website and downloading all the
drivers for your particular model of laptop and your preferred operating
system; you might also look around for a manual or some sort of document
that describes the devices which are included in the laptop.

If you're smart you'll save it all to floppy or CDROM so that you can
rebuild the system from the ground up without having to tediously
collect all of these resources together, anew, next time.

Alternatively, I have frequently found it useful to pop in a FreeBSD
boot diskette and watch the boot messages, in search of clues as to what
was inside the box - the kernel comes with a certain number of common
device drivers built in, and by watching it probe the bus you can get a
pretty good idea of not only what hardware is inside but what IRQs are
(or are not) in use, by which devices.

(Obviously, this is the guru option; if boot messages are so much
garbage to you, you'll need to find someone who can interpret this
information for you.)

Regards,

-- richard

--