Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:55:18 +0300
From:      Sergey Skvortsov <skv@protey.ru>
To:        perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    Re: ports/69421: perl5-related distfiles are in common distfiles directory

Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/69421; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
>  Does someone think we could close this one with feedback timeout, or
>  something ?

I personally vote to add for all new versions of p5-* modules next line
to Makefile:
DIST_SUBDIR=	perl5

This transition is transparent enough for end-users. Massive one-stage
change for all p5-ports will produce unnecessary distfiles refetching.

I suppose we must make decision about this PR.

This proposal can be official policy or should be rejected with
justification for refusal. Technically every maintainer can add your own
DIST_SUBDIR lines without any violations of "Porters handbook".

One more argument to accept explicit p5-subdir is simple consideration
to avoid collisions with other languages. Currently this is not the case
but I think this approach must be standard for all "dynamic" languages
like Perl, Python and Ruby (or, even C# ;)

--
Sergey Skvortsov
mailto: skv@protey.ru