Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:28:35 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Hye-Shik Chang <perky@FreeBSD.org>, Khairil Yusof <kaeru@inigo-tech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Python <python@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   USE_ZOPE vs. python modules

Dear maintainers,

the breakage of www/zope-cmfphoto
  http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-4-full/zope-cmfphoto-0.4.r2.log
seems to have roots in the current bsd.python.mk structure.

Basically if you define USE_ZOPE in a port, you'll get Python 2.1 by default,
if you just define USE_PYTHON You'll get Python 2.3.

The result is that if a port that uses zope depends on an another that doesn't,
you'll get different versions of the python modules (py21-imaging vs. py23-imaging
in this case), which breaks installation.

The workaround would be either to set the system-wide default to 2.1 or update
zope to a version supporting 2.3. I am aware of the recent thread `Zope 2.6.4 vs 2.7',
I just wanted to notify you because www/zope-cmfphoto is marked as BROKEN (and
scheduled for removal), for reasons that lie beyond the responsibilites of this
port (or its maintainer).

Regards
    Oliver