Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:35:27 +1000
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Cc:        vance@aurema.com
Subject:   python2 2.3.4 threads on 4.10-stable

I'm running -STABLE and keep my ports updated with portupgrade.

I have used a home-grown python tkinter script on this machine (and
also on Red Hat) for quite a while for time tracking.  It which
includes a single use of thread.start_new_thread running a function
which does very little, mostly time.sleep.  The script uses menus.

I have found that the script now hangs, sometimes before it even
finishes showing the original window, unless I comment out the thread
invocation.  Perhaps the sleep is blocking the initial thread as well
as the subsidiary one?  This would be despite the thread doc which
says that time.sleep should work.

This occurs in both kde and gnome, so I don't think this error message
is relevant - but included in case:

Jun 10 09:57:09 fred bonobo-activation-server (vance-45830): invalid character '#' in iid 'OAFIID:This#!!%$iid%^$%_|~!OAFIID_ContainsBadChars'

Several possible causes
	change in threading in Python 2.3.4 vs 2.3.3
	change in threading in 4.10-S vs older
	window manager

Any suggestions?

--