Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 22:33:51 +0900
From:      Hye-Shik Chang <perky@i18n.org>
To:        Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
Cc:        python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to www/zope makefile to work with 2.4

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 11:35:04AM +0100, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Perky,
>
> You have updated the zope port to work with python2.4. zope27x isnīt
> planed to run on python24.
>
> Here is the statemant from the release manager of Zope.
>
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:04:28PM +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
> [...]
> Speaking as Zope release manager but not as official of ZC: Python 2.3.4
> will likely be the recommended Python version for Zope 2.7.  I am personally
> running Zope 2.7.3 with Plone since some weeks under Python 2.4b1 but
> I am doing this at my "own risk".  Python 2.4 might be of interest for Zope
> 2.8.
> [...]
>
> He wrote this to the zope developer mailinglist.
>
> I donīt think we should patch zope to run with 2.4 when not supported from
> the zope Community.

Okay.  I'll investigate what will be happened if we force USE_PYTHON=2.3
when USE_ZOPE=yes is activated.  As far as I remember, it was such
a hell for handling dependencies.

> The second thing about your patch is that it only works with python2.4
> so it will force enybody to upgrade to python2.4 when installing zope even
> there is a running python2.3.x installation.

In ports, we must use explicitly specified version (or default version)
to record correct dependency.  So, you can force python ports to use
Python 2.3.  (PYTHONPORT_VERSION is defined after along PYTHON_VERSION)

 make PYTHON_VERSION=python2.3 install

> If I whould have been asked the patch wouldnīt have been approved.

Emergency build fixes in ports are usually free from maintainer
approval to commit in FreeBSD community.  But it doesn't look proper
as your comments, I'll add PYTHON_VERSION=python2.3 in zope port.

> I think we should change the zope port to use only python2.3
>
> I will provide an updated Makefile soon. Sorry I have to go right now
> so I can't provide it with this mail.

Mk/bsd.python.mk will need some fix for zope product ports as well.
Thank you for comments and sorry for incorrect fix. :)

Hye-Shik