Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:28:26 +0400
From:      Andrew Riabtsev <resident@b-o.ru>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: Controlling access at the Ethernet level

Hi Adrian,

Sunday, April 4, 2004, 10:22:33 PM, you wrote:

AP>    We have thought about using static MAC entries per port on managed
AP> switches installed at the client endpoints, but that would require a
AP> overwhelming budget. We are also thinking about L2TP and PPPoE, but I
AP> am uncertain about compatibility.

AP>   What would you recommand ? Are there any other elegant solutions ?

VPN (pptp) solution work just fine both potop and mpd on server side
and with any win box on client side, even win'95 with patch from
microsoft.com. There is could be problem with MAC OS - i didn't find
pptp-client for it but it should be, i think. Also FreeBSD and Linux
has pptp-clients. And the last, you can use cheap hardware
pptp-clients in situations like with MAC OS for example Allied Telesyn
AR-221E.

--
 Andrew                            mailto:resident@b-o.ru