Date:      Sun, 16 May 2004 12:30:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Anton Alin-Adrian <aanton@reversedhell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do fix a good solution against spam..

On 2004-05-16 01:46, Anton Alin-Adrian <aanton@reversedhell.net> wrote:
> M.Jessa> Not only it's way faster than perl based messagewall, amavisd and
> M.Jessa> mailscanner etc but it also has neat stuff like making connections
> M.Jessa> back to the sender's MX checking for validity of the sender's
> M.Jessa> email.
>
> So far I can only release this code. It implements exactly what was
> mentioned about exim. I use it with qmail because qmail I have, but
> can be used with postfix/sendmail with ease. So now not only exim can
> do that hack.

Similar functionality to the one described above can be added to
Sendmail with a milter.

Anyway, you surely can't be using the program you sent.  It doesn't even
build here:

    giorgos@gothmog[11:31]/tmp/mxcheck$ cc -O2 -ggdb check.c
    check.c: In function `filtervalidmail':
    check.c:443: error: syntax error at end of input
    giorgos@gothmog[11:31]/tmp/mxcheck$ _

> PS - this is how i use it:
> .qmail-file:
>
> | /usr/local/bin/check /usr/local/bin/safecat /path/to/Maildir/tmp
> /path/to/Maildir/new
>
> #the above after | is on a single line.

Putting aside the facts that the source is entirely undocumented, that
it doesn't even build, that it has a million style bugs, that the
comments aren't really helpful in understanding how it works, and that
it's entirely undocumented...

- What does each one of these parameters exactly do?
- What is safecat and why is it run with a full pathname?
- Why are you using an internal Maildir/ path like 'tmp'?
- Does this work in a .forward file too?

I know, I know that RTFS for such a small program documentation is most
of the time unnecessary for the experienced hacker, but IMHO this is
something that simple FreeBSD users might want to install too.  Without
any sort of documentation or other hint about the way it works, you
don't really expect anyone to run this or do you?  :-/

- Giorgos