Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:50:32 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-security@mawer.org>
To:        Chris Ryan <chrisryanemail@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attacks on ssh port

Chris Ryan wrote:
> protection - with the appropriate active firewall that
> blocks their IP address after x failed attempts
> permanently....

Has anyone found any good scripts or utilities for automating this kind
of thing? I too have been subject to these probings, and my initial
thought was to firewall off any address after any number of incorrect
attempts.

While I could write a script to parse the ipfilter logs, I didn't want
to go re-inventing the wheel for something which I was sure someone
would have already attempted.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Antony