Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:34:39 -0000
From:      Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request pointers to current-generation SMP boards

Am 03.12.2003 um 23:42 schrieb mikea:
> I'm speccing out a server for the day job, to run MailScanner and
> SpamAssassin on the inbound corporate mailstream.

Well... I'm running CommuniGate Pro 4.1.8 using MailScanner with Sophos
AV and McAfee (instead of buying those brain-dead plug-ins) on a dual
Xeon ASUS 160-R 1U server on FreeBSD 5.1(just to spit into the eyes of
those who told me FreeBSD wasn't usable). The machine is receiving
about 500k messages a day and throwing about 450k of those away.

I didn't notice any CPU load yet although it is hanging behind
2.4GBit/s bandwidth

> I hope to talk the boss into something that is _really_ muscular, in
> hope that the rising tide of spam, worms, etc., won't swamp the poor
> thing after 6 months to a year.

Save the money and use a decent mail server software instead of heating
the vacuum. And maybe spend the money on redundance.

> Or do people find that integrated peripheral support on
> the motherboard isn't all that bad?

Not at all. And if it dies its twin will take over. Those ASUS were
bloody cheap (including dual Xeon and quite a bit of RAM).

> I'm also planning to ask for SCSI, in as fast a flavor as I can get
> approval for, and some _big_ SCSI drives.

Well... I had a lot of problems with those bloody Adaptec U320 chips on
that board.

> Of course, if you can point to a ready-to-go server that meets these
> specs and that we can afford, that's great.

Take a look at ASUS web page

Achim