Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:28:52 +0000
From:      Ben Paley <ben@spooty.net>
To:        joe@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Legacy keyboard suppport stops USB from working! (uhci)

On Saturday 13 November 2004 12:01, Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > It's worth noting that the reason legacy emulation causes problems
> > is often that FreeBSD has not undone the BIOS's configuration of
> > the EHCI controller. Adding 'device ehci' to the kernel config seems
> > to fix this in many cases. What hardware were you seeing the problem
> > on, and does it have an EHCI controller that's not being set up by
> > FreeBSD?
> >
> > Many PCs these days have no PS/2 mouse or keyboard ports, so it's
> > important that we work with legacy emulation turned on where possible.
>
> Ben Paley will be able to say more as it's his hardware, but it was a
> UHCI chipset and thus no EHCI was present.

I don't think I can say much more about the technical issues involved through
ignorance - but I will be happy to answer any questions about my hardware.

But as for the patch - doesn't it just put up a message suggesting disabling
legacy support if you encounter problems? That would have saved me weeks of
head-scratching, lots of emails to lists (including this one) and some hours
of Joe's time - maybe, in the short term, not such a bad substitute for
actually solving the problem.

Cheers,
Ben.