Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:18:30 -0700
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.0 as postgresql-server

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:18:10 -0500
Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Claus Guttesen wrote:
>
> > Since 6.0 just came out the door it may be premature to ask whether I
> > should go for RELENG_6_0 or 5.4 (RELENG_5). The server will only be
> > doing postgresql 7.4.9. Is anyone running postgresql with 8 GB RAM or
> > more on 6.0?
> >
> > Our current (and slightly smaller hardware-wise) db-server is running
> > RELENG_5_4 but I'd like to get the improved smp-, disk- and
> > network-related improvements in 6.0.
>
> I'm running 5.4-REL on Tyan K8SR boards with dual opterons at 4GB,
> LSI 320-2X RAID cards configured with a 2 disk RAID1 for system + PG
> log and 6 disk RAID10 for data.
>
> However, I do not run the onboard BGE nics.  I use a plug-in Intel
> dual gigabit nic. We had some lockups with the bge onboard until we
> switched to the Intels.
>
> Postgres 8.0.4 runs non-stop and with great speed.
>
> I just took delivery (and will be putting into full-load pre-
> production testing today) a similar system (it has more disks is the
> major difference) with FreeBSD 6.0-REL.  So far my experience with a
> couple of other 6.0/amd64 systems (one in production) has been
> positive.  I don't anticipate any problems, but do expect some
> improvements in concurrency to the disk.
>
> I've been avoiding > 4GB RAM because of issues I hear others have
> been having, such as yours...  One of these days I'll try it I'm sure.

Vivek:

I'd be interested in your experiences w/6.0.  Would you mind testing
the onboard bge nics at the kind of loads that was causing them to
puke under 5.4?  I've got same system and as of yet not encountered
issues w/ the onboard bge nics.  The machine is also at the latest
BIOS, however, so that may contribute as well.

TIA--

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson