Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:26:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   porting

I have a computer, I teeny0tiny little bug of a system, one for which the
term "palmtop" is quite literally true.  It (and it's called a Zaurus)
comes from the manufacturer with a version of Linux already installed.
The version in my hand right now is a SL-C3000, which has a 4 GB hard disk
inside it, but I also have a 760, which isn't so well endowed.

Suffice to say, I want to port FreeBSD onto the Zaurus.  I am in a little
bit of a quandary ... I don't like the idea of asking others to do my work
for me, but if you folks would *like* the idea of helping, then neither do
I want to be piggish about it, and keep all the fun to myself.

Please, write me, and tell me where you stand on this, will you be happy
to stand off to the side and cheer, or do you really want to help, or
maybe you could care less about this Zaurus-centric.

If you want to do a project that doesn't work ont he Zaurus, more power to
you, fella, but please don't bet in my way.

As soon as I find out the list of folks, my first question is going to be,
does anyone know where there might be English language descriptions of the
Zaurus booting process.  Couple years back, I ran a FreeBSD-based system
on a i86 based board; this'll be my first armpbased project, but that
doesn't daunt me much.  IF I can get the booting process documented well
enough, thbe rest if really in the bag, in my own opinion.

Wouldn't it be GREAT to have FreeBSD in your palm?

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).