Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:03:50 +0100
From:      martinko <martinkov@pobox.sk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting LC_* in ~/.local_conf does not work

hello,

in handbook chapter 18.3.4.1.1.1 is an example of setting each of LC_*
variables manually. this does not work. i tried to set LANG and then
change some LCs, later i tried to set LC_ALL only, but nothing happened.
i found that LCs can be set only via setenv -- this is an example which
works:

me:\
        :charset=ISO-8859-2:\
        :lang=sk_SK.ISO8859-2:\
        :setenv=LC_MESSAGES=C,LC_MONETARY=C,LC_NUMERIC=C,LC_TIME=C:

my goal was to make system recognize and handle national characters but
to behave as "usual". LANG var must be set otherwise my keymap
(sk.iso2.kbd) does not work. (why?)

regards,

martin