Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:37:05 -0500
From:      "Andre Holliday" <sage@marmotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for partitioning tool

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a tool like Partition Magic, so that I can shrink
> partitions, create new ones, and make my laptop available for installing
> FreeBSD.
>
> I have Partition Magic, but unfortunately, I have Win2K3 on one
> partition, and PM detects it and refuses to run.  Aarrgh.
>
> Is there any easy to use tool to shrink down my NTFS partition, delete
> and create other partitions out there?
>
>   -- Joaquin Menchaca

Try Partition Manager 2005 from 7tools (http://7tools.de, US$29.95).  It seems
to be the same product as Paragon Partition Manager 6.0 Personal Edition
(http://www.partition-manager.com, US$49.95; Professional and Technician
Editions cost US$99.95 and US$299.00, respectively).  It has the same
functions as Partition Magic, including resizing partitions, and works even
when Partition Magic 8 refuses to.  I've used it for some time now with
satisfactory results.

I don't use Windows 2003, but Partition Manager 2005 saved me a lot of
headaches after I inadvertently installed Solaris 10 on a FreeBSD 4.10/Windows
XP machine before making backup copies of my partition tables.  Solaris 10
scrambled my partition table, and Partition Magic 8 only informed me of the
problem, refusing to go further.  Partition Manager detected the problem, and
allowed me to fix it, without requiring me to dig out my various first aid and
recovery tools.

Since acquiring Partition Magic, Symantec doesn't seem to have done anything
with it.

-- Andre Holliday