Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:22:50 -0400
From:      Yarema <yds@CoolRat.org>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Subject:   Re: splitting courier-authlib into master+slave ports

Hello Oliver,

--On Saturday, April 23, 2005 03:25:03 +0200 Oliver Lehmann
<lehmann@ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>

>> http://www.pofo.de/tmp/courier-authlib.tar.gz
>>

> I created a new version of the tar.gz with some changes:
>
> - libauthpwd is removed from -base and gets installed when the new port
>   -pwd gets installed.
> - .so.[0-9] ar now installed with 0444
>
> and now the biggest change:
>
> - I introduced a --without base target in configure which is needed for:
> - I changed the configure and Makefile.in for the following purpose:
>    - only run configure in the subdirs needed for the specific --with-
>      (auth*|base) configure-target.
>    - only compile the objects needed for the specific --with-(auth*|base)
>      configure-target.
>    - install/sysconftool only the libraries, configurations, binaries
>      which are needed for the specific --with-(auth*|base) configure-
>      target. That means the ports own do-install: target got removed.
>
> openldap.schema file didn't gets installed now since there is nothing in
> the src-Makefile which would install it when --with-authldap is
> specified. It can be easyly added of course but I don't know if that file
> is really needed since none ever told me that it is missing. I can't say
> anything about that file since I never took a look into LDAP. If someone
> tells me "man, that file makes work easier/is hardly needed" I'll change
> Makefile.in so it gets installed when --with-authldap is specified.
>
> And of course, I'll send my patches when they are done, working, tested,
> checked-in to the original author.

Nice work with the patches.  Once again I have a variant on what you posted
with some notes and fixups at
<http://yds.CoolRat.org/freebsd/courier-authlib-20050423.00.tgz>;

This one should be easy to follow.  The main difference is in how the
courier-authlib and courier-authlib-base are organized.

courier-authlib-base is a standalone package completely unaware that there
is a meta port.  All the plugin subports RUN_DEPEND directly on
courier-authlib-base.

courier-authlib is a standalone meta port which BUILD_DEPENDS and
RUN_DEPENDS on courier-authlib-base and optionally BUILD_DEPENDS on any of
the plugin subports.   Using only BUILD_DEPENDS is in this case preferred
for the subports because no @pkgdep is recorded so one is free to install
and deinstall the plugins as need dictates without any other port
complaining that it DEPENDS on them. Only the base port needs to be
DEPENDed upon.

I think this is a cleaner organization which solves most of the issues I've
raised and still works exactly the same as the last version you posted.

--
Yarema
http://yds.CoolRat.org